Driver Education for students and the community
St. Mary’s High School offers a Driver Education Program that is open to students from local high schools as well as those from St. Mary’s High School. The Driver Education Program is offered three times throughout the year: Spring, Summer, and Fall.
The New York State Department of Education requires that each student attend 24-hours of virtual classroom instruction, which are held on Thursday afternoons. Due to Covid-19, the students will attend 6-hours of private, in-car instruction with Covid-19 precautions in place. One-and-a-half hour driving labs are available at various times in the vehicles. Students select the schedule that works best for them and registration slots will be conducted on a first come, first served basis. Completion of the course also satisfies the 20-hour graduated license requirement.
The Summer 2022 classroom session will be held four times a week in the month of July from July 5 to July 28 with the following schedule:
Week 1: July 5 - 8
Week 2: July 11 - 14
Week 3: July 18 - 21
Week 4: July 25-28
There will be three different time options (the student must choose one):
Benefits of the Course:
- Enhanced learning experience with qualified instructors
- Satisfies New York State mandated requirements for new drivers
- Substantial premium reduction from auto insurance companies
- Ability to drive past 9 PM upon turning 17 (as opposed to 18)
The cost for the program is $775 per student (this includes both classroom and driving sessions).
- The Motorcycle Tests section: https://dmv-permit-test.com/
- The CDL Tests section: https://dmv-permit-test.com/