Driver Education for students and the community
St. Mary’s High School offers a Driver Education Program that is open to students from local high schools as well as those from St. Mary’s High School. The Driver Education Program is offered three times throughout the year: Spring, Summer, and Fall.
The New York State Department of Education requires that each student attend 24 hours of classroom instruction as well as 24 hours of laboratory in-car instruction. Due to Covid-19 and guidance by the New York State Education Department, there are currently two options for the program. Please read both options carefully.
Option 1: Classroom only with driving component attested to by parent or guardian.
Option 1 will allow a student will receive 24 hours of classroom instruction via Google Classroom and Google Meets. The 24 hours of laboratory in-car instruction will be completed under the supervision of a parent/guardian holding a valid NYS Driver's License. St. Mary's High School will provide a driver training curriculum for the licensed parent/guardian to instruct their student. Please see the hyperlinks below with information on the attestation agreement and parent/guardian driver training resources. The cost of this option is $525 per student.
Option 2: Classroom instruction and 24 hours of in-car driving instruction over 16 sessions with four students per vehicle.
Option 2 will still allow a student to receive 24 hours of classroom instruction via Google Classroom and Google Meets. Additionally, each student will receive 24 hours of in-car instruction in groups of 4 students. There will be several time slots to choose from and from the selection, the student will be placed in a group that will meet at the same specified time each week for 16 weeks. All driving sessions will start the week of February 6 and end on May 27, with a possible makeup week to follow. The cost of this option is $825 per student.
The Spring 2023 classroom session will be held three times a week from February 1, 2023, to June 1. 2023. There will NOT be a class on the following dates:
February 22nd & 23rd
April 5th & 6th
There will be three different time options for the classroom (the student must choose one to attend once a week only):
Option 1: Wednesdays (6:15 pm - 7:45 pm)
Option 2: Thursdays (4:30 pm - 6:00 pm)
Option 3: Thursdays (6:15 pm - 7:45 pm)
Separate registration is required for the scheduling software (Drive Scout) regarding the driving lessons. Please complete this registration when you register with the St. Mary's High School Google Form.
Upon completing the Google Form below, please take a few moments and complete the registration for Hoffman's Driving Academy. You will receive an email ("Welcome to Hoffman's Driving Academy") in which you may log in with the temporary password (please change the password afterward) and view the account. The registration you submitted with St. Mary's will be used to schedule the lessons. When lessons are ultimately scheduled, you may receive several emails during this process. Please ignore those emails for now as the official schedule will come from a Final Excel File.
Remember, you must complete a registration on Hoffman's Driving Academy's website AND complete the Google Form. Please click on the hyperlink below that says "Register for the Driver Ed Course Here Using the St. Mary's Google Form."
- Go to www.HoffmansDrivingAcademy.
- Navigate to the "Shop" page.
- Click "High School Driver Ed" to jump to the Driver Ed section.
- Click "Get Started" on the St. Mary's High School Driver Ed.
- Complete all the information on the Checkout Page.
- Click " Buy Now & Pay Later" (There is no charge for this registration since any payment is made to St. Mary's High School).
- Log in with the Welcome Email you receive and become familiar with the account.
- After all prior steps, please also register using the St. Mary's Google Form (see link below)
- Ignore the notification that you are outside the service area. The meeting location is the front main entrance of St. Mary's High School around the front loop.
- Any company policies are based on the St. Mary's High School registration form.
- The email for the student account is the email that you will log in with! You can make the parent and student email the same if you prefer.
Benefits of the Course:
- Enhanced learning experience with qualified instructors
- Satisfies New York State mandated requirements for new drivers
- Substantial premium reduction from auto insurance companies
- Ability to drive past 9 PM upon turning 17 (as opposed to 18)